The Community Foundation of the Dan River Region improves and enriches the lives of the region’s
residents by encouraging and facilitating donations; managing, investing and distributing these
donations in accordance with donors’ wishes while meeting community needs; and ensuring these
donations create a lasting legacy of growth and opportunity throughout the region.
About The Foundation
The Community Foundation of the Dan River Region was founded in 1996; we now manage
approximately 180 charitable and scholarship funds with assets of over $50 million. Last fiscal year, The Foundation awarded grants totaling more than $1.4 million to area organizations and 133 scholarships totaling more than $279,000.
Executive Director Position Announcement
The Board of Directors is seeking an Executive Director who believes in the mission of The Foundation and is equipped to provide leadership as we work to achieve our mission. The Executive Director will guide The Foundation’s overall direction, business strategies, and the coordination and implementation of The Foundation’s fundraising activities.
Principle responsibilities will include:
- Manage daily operations and guide Foundation staff members.
- Expand the financial base for The Foundation, pursuing philanthropic funding sources and other creative sources of revenue for the organization, including community fundraising projects, as approved or recommended by the Board.
- Position The Foundation as a leader in gathering financial resources through relationships with community, business, and public-sector leaders in the region to support the mission of The Foundation.
- Serve as The Foundation’s liaison to donors, prospective donors and the community.
- Maintain The Foundation’s investment accounts and implement investment strategy as directed by the Board.
- Maintain, update and implement The Foundation’s strategic plan.
The Executive Director must have a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution,
at least five years of experience in a business environment, and a high level of efficiency with
technology including proficiency in MS Office. Experience with a foundation, the not-for-profit
sector, legal practices, financial processes, and accounting principles is desired.
Our next Executive Director must possess:
- The capacity to raise funds and secure investments from individuals, businesses, private foundations and other potential contributors.
- Skill in effective written and oral communication and the capacity to engage in genuine conversations with a diverse group of individuals.
- The ability to work with accountants, investment firms, and investment advisors.
- Strong administrative, management and organizational skills.
- The ability to provide engaging public presentations regarding The Foundation and our mission.
- A passion for and dedication to the communities served by The Foundation.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience. Benefits include comprehensive medical,
dental, life insurance, retirement contributions, and holiday, sick and annual leave.
Finalists for the position will be required to provide references, a credit report, and information for a
Once hired, the Executive Director will be required to reside full-time within our region of service,
which includes the City of Danville, the counties of Pittsylvania and Halifax in Virginia and Caswell in
Applicants must submit a resume and a cover letter detailing their interest in the position and
outlining their applicable experience. All materials must be received at The Foundation by
March 8th, 2024. Applications and resumes will be treated as confidential.
Information can be submitted by mail to:
The Community Foundation of the Dan River Region
Attention: Search Committee
541 Loyal Street
Danville, VA 24541
Or by email to: CFDRRexecsearchcommittee@gmail.com
The Community Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer