DANVILLE, VA- A surprise grant of $3,000 was awarded to Pittsylvania County Library/PPL Foundation by The Community Foundation of the Dan River at an April 27 luncheon for Chatham area supporters, grant recipients, and potential donors at Reid Street Gallery. The grant is in honor of the Foundation’s 20th anniversary and will be used to enhance the 2017 Summer Reading Programs and expand the theme of “reading by design” with four new Maker Space or Creation Stations for each of the Pittsylvania County libraries.
Pittsylvania County has received more than $8 million in grants and scholarships from The Community Foundation of the Dan River Region since it began in 1996. The complete listing of grants was shared. Information was also shared about the online grant cycle for nonprofit organizations which will open in early June.
Pittsylvania County donors have also established 17 endowment funds within The Community Foundation, including:
- Earl and Elise M.G. Allen Fund (1998)
- Faith Home Endowment Fund (1998)
- Audrey Millner Fund (2000)
- John L. Hurt Scholarship (2002)
- Margaret Spruce Floyd Scholarship (2003)
- Herman and Helen Melton Historical Fund (2003)
- Ray M. Harris Scholarship (2004)
- Alexander Heath Light & Mary Nelson Light Mission Fund (2005)
- Mount Hermon Baptist Church Youth Mission Fund (2007)
- Pittsylvania County Animal Shelter Fund (2008)
- Florence P. Wagner and Jennie Lee Wagner Scholarship (2008)
- Larry Donald Huskey Fund (2009)
- Richard Ramsey Scholarship (2010)
- Gideon Miller Cancer Fund (2011)
- Adkerson-Dodson Special Education Scholarship (2012)
- Rotary Club of Chatham Fund (2013)
- Woodlawn Academy Scholarship (2014)
Twenty-one Pittsylvania County citizens have served on The Community Foundation Board, including currently serving members Angeles Atkinson, Donald Nodtvedt, Rodney Reynolds, Charles Strauss, and Paul Thompson. Five Pittsylvania County Board members have served as past presidents – Ben Davenport, H.F. Haymore, John “Eddie” Herndon, Jr., L. Samuel Saunders, Jr., and H. Victor Millner, Jr. Additional Pittsylvania County residents who have served on the foundation Board include Dr. Daniel Addis, Brenda Blair, E. B. Fitzgerald, III, Dr. Dugan Maddux, Donald Merricks, Audrey Millner, Rev. Ed Pope, Robert W. Scearce, Jr., Charles Snead, Vaden Wright and Lewis Wall.
“All of Pittsylvania County has been a part of our core service area since The Community Foundation began 20 years ago,” said Debra L. Dodson, Executive Director. Donors, organizations or businesses may start their own endowment funds for as little as $10,000 and scholarships for $25,000. Once a fund is established anyone can make designated gifts to that fund.
The Community Foundation is also accepting donations on behalf of the soon-to-be opened Pittsylvania County Animal Shelter. More information on general donations, honorary/memorial brick purchases and naming opportunities can be found online at www.cfdrr.org.
Online grant applications for community agencies will open in early June at www.cfdrr.org. The next scholarship application cycle will begin January 1, 2018 and will also be available at www.cfdrr.org.