View the 2015-2016 CFDRR Annual Report
Month: November 2016
2015-2016 Annual Report
November 2016 Newsletter
20 Years of Impact Highlighted at Community Foundation Anniversary Luncheon
DANVILLE, VA –The Community Foundation of the Dan River Region highlighted “20 Years of Impact” at its Anniversary Luncheon held Thursday, November 3, 2016 at the Institute for Advanced Learning and Research.
Founder Whitt Clement returned to share a few words of reflection on convening a group of regional leaders to begin the first community foundation serving the Danville area.
Special recognition’s were also given to Bob Wiles, the Foundation’s first director; founding Board members; as well as all past presidents of The Community Foundation.
Debra Dodson, Executive Director, stated, “What a great day for our region! Just imagine all the great work that would never have been done if these early visionaries had not stepped forward to start a community foundation 20 years ago. And just imagine how many lives will be touched year after year because we now have a strong and vibrant community foundation to offer personalized philanthropy to more than 3,000 donors from across the country!”
Some highlights of The Community Foundation’s impact since its formation in 1996 include: –
1996—Incorporated as the DPC Community Foundation
2004—Name changed to The Community Foundation of the Dan River Region
2004—Agreed to serve as fiscal agent for the Veterans Memorial
2007— First met National Standards for Community Foundations accreditation
2015—Started the RiverBank Fund initiative
2016—Partnered with Pittsylvania County to receive donations on behalf of the new Animal Shelter
Since 1996—The Community Foundation has received $11.5 million in bequests and awarded $18.3 million in grants and $2.1 million in scholarships to 952 students!
Donors continued to add to the Foundation, bringing total assets to $29,366,999 as of June 30, 2015 – (which now have grown to $30,498,274 as of September 30!)
Other highlights for the year include:
- Receiving gifts of $1,910,361 from hundreds of donors.
- Awarding 80 student scholarships of more than $153,000.
- Awarding grants of $1,113,242 to 163
- Continuing to build the RiverBank Fund.
- Continuing to build the Fund for Halifax County.
- Continuing to sell more than 6,300 engraved bricks for the local Veterans Memorial.
- Entering into a new partnership with Pittsylvania County to receive donations on behalf of the new Animal Shelter.
- Beginning a Legacy Society to recognize individuals who designate a gift to The Community Foundation through a will, trust, retirement plan beneficiary or other planned gift.
- Donors started nine new funds, bringing the total of funds to more than 130:
- Mary Cahill Historic Preservation Fund
- Agency Emergency Fund
- Nancy Flippen Fund
- Sam and Margaret Kushner Fund
- Robert R. Blackwell & Lick Fork Primitive Baptist Church of Rockingham County, N.C. Fund
- Danville Lions Foundation Scholarship Fund
- North Main Baptist Church Scholarship Fund
- Elizabeth Whitlow Reith Price – RN Whitlow Family Nursing Scholarship Fund
- Yanceyville Methodist Church Cemetery Fund
The Foundation also unveiled a new logo (shown on this news release) and featured a brief video of testimonials by donors, grant recipients and scholarship students.
The Community Foundation’s mission is to improve and enrich the lives of people in our community by encouraging the generosity of donors. Donors may establish their own endowment fund to support particular areas of interest or may make unrestricted gifts to any existing fund.
For more information, contact the Community Foundation at 541 Loyal Street, Danville, VA 24541, (434) 793-0884 or visit their web site www.cfdrr.org.